Friday, July 18, 2008

The Watchmen


An amazing book written by Alan Moore and drawn by Dave Gibbons. This is the book you start your graphic novel collection with. It's the opposite of most hero stories. This is the other side, the dark side: greed, jealousy, murder and little bit of mental illness...delicious. The debate over making it into a movie has been going on for almost two decades - who, how, when and why?

It's a big, juicy, awesome story. So good in fact that squeezing it into one film is a sin. So much will be lost in the trimming of this tale. The only glimmer of hope was in 1996 when visionary genius Terry Gilliam took a stab at trying to come up with a plan of attack on how to bring this gigantic monster to the big screen. This was the end result, "I think it's going to be impossible to make as a film, unless you make it three and a half hours long, which most people aren't going to want. - Gilliam"

For me, that was all I needed to hear. It's done, no Watchmen movie.

(I had hoped on a Watchmen season, like on HBO. Maybe two seasons, get the whole story in there. But did they listen to me? Noooo...)

So for the past year we knew that Zach Snyder (Director of '300') took on the job. We were teased with update blogs and character pics. I only sat and wondered just how much this film would suck. The trailer, which appears before the new Batman film, is online. I will say this - it looks fucking awesome. Who knows what kind of story they're gonna tell, but it looks exactly like the book...exactly.

Even if you've never read or even even seen the book, you should check out the trailer. I think you'll find that this is a big story, regardless of how the script turns out.



2 comments:

Dool said...

Wow...don't know much about it but looks good.

jackpot said...

I was skeptical, but Rorschach looks great, so alright, I'm in. How'd they get Billy Corgan to play on the soundtrack? I thought he was too busy. Or dead or something.